Access to standards is changing; Perinorm will be discontinued at the end of the year. Beuth-Verlag, through which DIN standards and VDI guidelines are licensed by tub. will instead use a new platform: NautosContinue reading
Category Archives: Digital World
Database TEMA away
As of now, the WTI TEMA database is no longer available at TUHH. As already announced at the beginning of the year, the background for this is the insolvency of WTI Frankfurt GmbH.
Now available online: Schneider Bautabellen and Handbook of porous materials
The tub. has just acquired two new eBooks to make it easier for you to access these frequently used books:
The Schneider Bautabellen have been used by engineers for over 45 years now, they are a standard work. Although we have numerous printed copies in the textbook collection, the title is now also available digitally. This means that you can use the current edition of the construction tables wherever you are, e.g. search online or print out selected documents.
The second title is the Handbook of porous materials and consists of these four volumes:Continue reading
Zotero 6 is released
Zotero is an open source application for collecting, managing and citing literature. The software is available for free and can be used on Windows, macOS and Linux operating systems. Zotero 6 was released on March 17.Continue reading
Digitaltag on 18.06.2021: „Together you write less alone! – Open digital tools at the TU Hamburg“
The University Library of TUHH (tub.) will participate in the „Digitaltag“ next Friday (18.06.2021). In „Together you write less alone! – Open digital tools at TU Hamburg“ in the time from 15:00 to 16:00, all interested parties will have the opportunity to get an insight into book production with free software that has been used in projects such as „Modern Publishing“ (Hamburg Open Science) and „tub.torials“ (Hamburg Open Online University).
The event will take place online and will be offered via the open source video conferencing application BigBlueButton (BBB). Access data will be provided after registration.
Registration is possible via the following form:
Detailed event description
„You always wanted to write a book together with others and don’t know how? Do you want to use or get to know free software for writing? The event „Together you write less alone! – Open digital tools at the TU Hamburg” offers you insights into the creation of „More than 77 tips for scientific work” and the open applications used. After a short lecture, we can try out together with you which possibilities open digital tools offer. Prior knowledge is always good, but not required.“
Information about the event can also be found on the Digitaltag event page.
For further information and questions, please contact Florian Hagen.
More about the Digitaltag
The intiative „Digital für alle“ is sponsoring the second edition of the Digitaltag. This event aims to make digitization accessible to interested parties through various activities and formats. All associations, companies and public institutions are welcome to contribute their own ideas to provide space for exchange and discussion on various aspects of digitization. All activities will be presented on www.digitaltag.eu via an interactive action map.
You can also find out more about Digitaltag under the hashtag #Digitaltag.
Access to Nature journals : reading and publishing
Good news: Access to journals in the Nature portfolio has been extended for the TUHH and, from 1 January 2021, TUHH authors will have the opportunity to publish their articles in Nature and a further 32 original Nature research journals in open access. In the context of the DEAL contracts, a new consortium agreement for access and publication has been concluded. For this purpose, a fixed share of the payments from Germany is used to offset the OA costs, which amount to €9,500 + VAT per article. As soon as this amount is used up, the institutions themselves have to provide the funding. It is therefore worthwhile to successfully complete the review process early in the year with the publication! €9,500 is a very high and not uncontroversial price! As long as reputation in science is assessed via publication, prices will continue to rise and be paid. Perhaps you are interested in the actual discussion paper by the »Scientific practice« working group of the Priority Initiative »Digital Information« by the Alliance of Science Organisations with the title “Expanding academic publishing practices alongside the digital turn”.
We entered into the agreement because we receive reading access to the 2021 volume of the 55 titles of the Nature Portfolio, including the 21 Nature Review titles, at very little additional cost. The contract period is 2021-2024, can be cancelled annually. Previously, we only had access to the journal Nature and 3 other subscriptions.
- Informationens about the contract: https://www.springernature.com/gp/open-research/institutional-agreements/ta-nature-de
- Link to Author Guide: https://resource-cms.springernature.com/springer-cms/rest/v1/content/18645178/data/v5
- Journal List: https://keeper.mpdl.mpg.de/f/a6dc1e1ed4fc4becb194/?dl=1
The OA journals Scientific Reports, Scientfic Data, Nature Communications, Communications Biology, Communication Chemistry and Communications Physics fall under the original DEAL SpringerNature contract and are therefore not affected by this contract and prices!
You are welcome to contact us email@example.com
The new library chat
Starting Tuesday, 25.05.21, the library offers a new chat service!
We can help with all kinds of problems: Have you forgotten your password or need help with research? And how does the booking system work? Just write to us directly in the chat.
From Monday to Friday from 10am-2pm, our staff is available to help you with any questions you may have.
You can recognise an active chat by the ‘speech bubble’ symbol on the right-hand side of our website. Outside the chat hours you will be forwarded to our mails.
We look forward to your messages!
Featured Image: CC0 Pixarbay, Deans_Icons
Corona Warn App in the tub.
From now on, our users can use the Corona Warn App to check in to the library.
This function is available after the latest update of the app. In addition to the already familiar library card scanner, you will find a QR code in the entrance area that you can scan with the Corona Warn app.
Once you have scanned the code, you will see an entry in your contact diary with your location and the times you were in the library. This entry will remain visible in your app for 14 days and will then be deleted along with your data.
Checking in via the app is not a prerequisite for library use, but an additional offer from us.
You can find more info on the app’s blog.
What you should know when publishing your dissertation on TORE
At the beginning of 2003, dissertations from the TU Hamburg were published online for the first time on TUBdok the document server of the TUHH at that time. The first dissertations were:
- Sell, Bernhard: Interface characterization of metal-gate MOS-structures and the application to DRAM-capacitors. 2002
- Jungfer, Martin: Gegenstromtrennung von schwerflüchtigen Naturstoffen mit überkritischen komprimierten Gasen unter Verwendung von Schleppmitteln. 2000
- Wiehler, Kay: Tribologie und Fluidverhalten in der Dichtzone von Radialwellendichtringen unter Berücksichtigung makromolekularer Bestandteile der Schmierfluide. 2002
Meanwhile, the open access repository TUHH Open Research (TORE) provides a uniform, centralized and public access to digital, scientific documents generated at TUHH. These can thus be perceived, read and cited online worldwide!
New service page: Hints for publishing your dissertation
By now, 717 dissertations have been published on TORE and many questions have been asked about them. To better support you in publishing in the future, we have collected our answers and compiled a new page from them: “Hints for publishing your dissertation TORE”.
We look forward to receiving your dissertation on TORE! For advice, we are of course still personally available: Questions about TORE.
One more note about publishing through a publisher:
Even if you publish your dissertation with a publisher, parallel publication on TORE is possible if your publishing contract allows it.
This will certainly have little negative impact on the prospect of a possible royalty from VG Wort. It is paid out less and less frequently. Although the Merkblatt für Urheber im wissenschaftlichen Bereich (Fassung Dezember 2019) of the VG Wort states, “The prerequisite for a royalty is that the reported publications stand in an appropriate volume in scientific and specialist libraries,” it can be assumed that libraries nowadays hardly buy printed dissertations for their holdings.
We, as a TU library, buy dissertations only when there is a justified proposal from users. We accept donated dissertations in individual and exceptional cases only if they clearly fit into our narrower collection spectrum.
New online books 2021 in the TUHH network
Digital semesters due to the Corona crisis also lead to expanded offers of online books or e-books in the TUHH network at the TU Hamburg. As early as May 2020, we had responded to this together with other Hamburg libraries.
With the year 2021, online books from additional publishers have now been added to the library holdings acecssible at TUHH.
- eBooks from the UK’s IET (The Institution of Engineering and Technology) with topics from all engineering disciplines (2015 – 2021)
- Emerald Business, Management and Economics eBook Series Collection 2018-2021
- VDI eLibrary: Fortschritt-Berichte VDI and the VDI reports from 2021 (no titles from 2021 published yet) incl. VDI journals from 2021.
- Cambridge University Press STM collection (Science, technology and medicine). At the end of the year, important and frequently used works will be firmly purchased.
- SAE Mobilus ebooks (1990 – 2021) from SAE International, formerly “Society of Automotive Engineers”
Continueing to be available at TUHH are online books from the following publishers:.
- Springer ebooks: The TUHH library purchased the German packages of 2021 from the following subject areas
In addition, there are the English-language packages
- Business & Management,
- Chemistry & Materials Science,
- Earth and Environmental Science,
- Intelligent Technologies & Robotics,
- Mathematics & Statistics,
- and Professional and Applied Computing.
(The links provided here search for books in the 2020 as well as 2021 packages. The 2020 English language packages for chemistry and mathematics packages were not purchased).
In 2021, access is available to books in this package for 2020. At the end of the year, important, frequently used works are permanently purchased.
- Elsevier ebooks via ScienceDirect
- De Gruyter ebooks: In addition to online books from De Gruyter, books from other publishers, such as the publishing house transcript as well as a number of American university presses, are also accessible.
- Hanser ebooks: In 2020, based on targeted selection, approx. 50 titles have been purchased, not all of which have been published yet.
- SIAM ebooks – Works of the publication year 2021 have been purchased in addition to the former years.
- MIT Press – Works of the publication year 2021 have been purchased in addition to the former years.
At least for 2021, these textbooks remain accessible online:
- More than 150 German-language textbooks of all subject areas of the publisher Pearson (primarily for online reading, only printing of single pages possible)
- Textbooks of all subject areas of the publisher UTB (chapter-by-chapter download as PDF possible)
Not renewed was access to all Wiley ebooks. Within the last few years’ contracts, we had bought the most used Online- Books purchased from Wiley firmly for access at TUHH. Purchase requests for e-books of individual Wiley titles not available at TUHH are always possible.