Bundesweite Lizenzierung von Angeboten großer Wissenschaftsverlage
Good news: Access to journals in the Nature portfolio has been extended for the TUHH and, from 1 January 2021, TUHH authors will have the opportunity to publish their articles in Nature and a further 32 original Nature research journals in open access. In the context of the DEAL contracts, a new consortium agreement for access and publication has been concluded. For this purpose, a fixed share of the payments from Germany is used to offset the OA costs, which amount to €9,500 + VAT per article. As soon as this amount is used up, the institutions themselves have to provide the funding. It is therefore worthwhile to successfully complete the review process early in the year with the publication! €9,500 is a very high and not uncontroversial price! As long as reputation in science is assessed via publication, prices will continue to rise and be paid. Perhaps you are interested in the actual discussion paper by the »Scientific practice« working group of the Priority Initiative »Digital Information« by the Alliance of Science Organisations with the title “Expanding academic publishing practices alongside the digital turn”.
We entered into the agreement because we receive reading access to the 2021 volume of the 55 titles of the Nature Portfolio, including the 21 Nature Review titles, at very little additional cost. The contract period is 2021-2024, can be cancelled annually. Previously, we only had access to the journal Nature and 3 other subscriptions.
You are welcome to contact us email@example.com
Instead of paying a fee for downloading the full text take the reference to a freely accessible version!
There is now support for your access to closed journal articles. On our reading room PCs you will find the browser plugin unpaywall, which is available for the Internet browsers Firefox and Chrome.
When surfing on the websites of scientific journals, provider platforms or databases, a green lock signals the presence of an Open Access publication of the article after a few seconds. A click on the symbol “Green lock” leads you to the free full text.
Test the example in the reading room!
We also recommend that you download the plugin for your own use, as unpaywall unlike other sites only identifies legal Open Access versions of paid content. It is also important to note that this open access version does not visually correspond to the publisher’s version, as layout and logos are usually not allowed to be used. Also, an embargo period must often be observed when publishing the preprint or an accepted manuscript. The older the article, the more likely it is to be found.
If you have any questions, please contact our Open Access Team.
- TUHH has joined the contract of the DEAL project with Wiley Publishing House. You can find some information about the conditions here.
- On January 15, 2019, for the project Deal a contract has been signed with the publisher Wiley. The contract now has been published.
- TUHH no longer has access to the complete range of journals published by Elsevier-Verlag. Periodicals for which the TUHH has archive rights are still available.
- There is a transitional agreement with SpringerNature, so that the journals available at TUHH will remain accessible in 2019. Negotiations with Wiley will continue, but Wiley’s journals will be available until the end of January 2019.
- Springer journals will continue to be available during negotiations in 2019.
- The TUHH has cancelled all journal subcriptions with the publishers Elsevier, Springer und Wiley to the end of 2018. The TUHH takes part at the project DEAL.
With the project DEAL the German Rectors’ Conference (HRK) is negotiating on behalf of the Alliance of Science Organisations in Germany with the big STEM publishers (Elsevier, SpringerNature und Wiley) about nation-wide agreements for licensing e-journals. The aims of DEAL are:
- Fair financial burden to get a wide-scale, lasting access to scholarly literature (e-journals) for academics in Germany.
- As open access component, corresponding authors’ publications of participitating institutions should be Open Access automatically (CC-BY).
- To bring about significant change to the status quo in relation to negotiations, content and pricing in the process of accessing scholarly information in Germany.
What does DEAL mean actually for the TUHH?
- The TUHH has cancelled this year all journal subcriptions with the publishers Elsevier, Springer und Wiley to the end of 2018. The TUHH takes part at the project DEAL.
- The situation at TUHH will be the same like at all other German universities which cancelled their subscriptions last year or the year before. The list of these institutions includes for example other universities of technology like those in Aix-La-Chapelle, Berlin, Braunschweig, Darmstadt, Kaiserslautern, Karlsruhe and Munich. In 2018 the TUHH has still had a regular contract with Elsevier because of a three-years-agreement starting 2016.
- The status of the DEAL negotiations is open. Contracts with the publishers SpringerNature and Wiley seem to be more possible than a contract with the publisher Elsevier.
What does DEAL mean for the access to e-journals at TUHH in 2019?
- Starting 2019 the TUHH will still have access to journals, for which the TUHH had subscriptions with permanent archival rights, until including the volumes of the year 2018.For the publisher Elsevier as example this means:
- Via ScienceDirect acccess will still be possible to the most important 48 journals, for which the TUHH has had a subscription until the year 2018.
- No access will exist for articles of the year 2019.
- No access will be possible to other ScienceDirect journals. Here the access for 2018 has been paid by an annual license without permanent access rights.
- Further on you also have access to the Elsevier Journal Backfiles on ScienceDirect 1907 – 2002, a package, which was funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) as national license for Germany years ago.
- For getting articles not available in digital or printed form at the TUHH, you have – as in the moment also – in 2019 the following possibilities:
- Ordering through interlibrary loan online: In the moment you get a paper copy normally within one week. In the future, maybe it will be possible in most cases to deliver a digital copy to end-users.
- Ordering through other document delivery services: In case you need an article within 24 hours or within 3 working days, the TUHH library will order the articles for TUHH researchers through another delivery service, for which the library will also pay for. This is possible already today on request.
- In general, document delivery is possible via various ways of acquisition, which differ in the speed of supply (from at once to several days), in the quality of supply (from original pdf file to paper copy) and in the fees to be paid (to about 75 € for the most expensive type of document delivery).
DEAL Logo: CC BY 4.0 Projekt Deal
Two years ago the tub. changed access for journals of the American Chemical Society (ACS) from print to online. This year the tub. offers access to further ACS journals within the TUHH intranet.
A journals package has been licensed, which includes more journals by paying not too much additional costs. Additional journals has been selected from those journals not accessible until now, whose „access denied“ figures has been the highest in 2017.
The transition from the printed to the digital version of journals has resulted in an increase of expenses for digital journals in the last years. At the request of its customers the TUHH library has now switched its journal subscriptions at the American Chemical Society (ACS) to the digital version:
The transiiton was not self-financing. The TUHH library now pays more than for the printed versions of the journals.
In addition to the five important new ones, the TUHH library has been offering access to two further ACS eJournals since a few years:
Energy & fuels
Rubber chemistry and technology
We are pleased to offer you access to new e-books of the following publishers in 2015:
Furthermore, the journal package Elsevier Freedom Collection has been licensed for one year. With this license, you have access to 2,300+ journals via the platform ScienceDirect which are published since 2011.
Via TUBfind you also have access to the e-journals and e-books.
Queries to our e-media offering we will be happy to answer. Please send an e-mail to our e-media team.
In 2015 access to most of the journals of ScienceDirect, the platform of the publisher Elsevier, is possible within TUHH intranet.
In addition to 57 journals subscribed until now, the TUHH library licensed for one year the so-called „Freedom Collection“ of the publisher (Information page of Elsevier). With this licensing access is possible to more than 2300 journals starting with the year 2011. Archival rights for permanent access to the journals have not been acquired within this additonal package.
A list of all accessible journals of the Freedom Collection is available, as is a complete list, containing also journals without access.
Since the beginning of the year 2104 the important journal “Nature : the international weekly journal of science” is available in the TUHH intranet also with its actual issues. Until now the TUHH libray has subscribed to the printed version which has been cancelled.
The sister journals “Nature Biotechnology” and “Nature Photonics” can be accessed to get actual full texts also.