Access to standards is changing; Perinorm will be discontinued at the end of the year. Beuth-Verlag, through which DIN standards and VDI guidelines are licensed by tub. will instead use a new platform: NautosContinue reading
Important note for all users of TEMA
The company WTI-Frankfurt GmbH, which has operated this database for technology and management, has filed for insolvency in December 2021. Therefore, it is now uncertain how long this database can still be accessed.Continue reading
At the beginning of 2003, dissertations from the TU Hamburg were published online for the first time on TUBdok the document server of the TUHH at that time. The first dissertations were:
- Sell, Bernhard: Interface characterization of metal-gate MOS-structures and the application to DRAM-capacitors. 2002
- Jungfer, Martin: Gegenstromtrennung von schwerflüchtigen Naturstoffen mit überkritischen komprimierten Gasen unter Verwendung von Schleppmitteln. 2000
- Wiehler, Kay: Tribologie und Fluidverhalten in der Dichtzone von Radialwellendichtringen unter Berücksichtigung makromolekularer Bestandteile der Schmierfluide. 2002
Meanwhile, the open access repository TUHH Open Research (TORE) provides a uniform, centralized and public access to digital, scientific documents generated at TUHH. These can thus be perceived, read and cited online worldwide!
New service page: Hints for publishing your dissertation
By now, 717 dissertations have been published on TORE and many questions have been asked about them. To better support you in publishing in the future, we have collected our answers and compiled a new page from them: “Hints for publishing your dissertation TORE”.
We look forward to receiving your dissertation on TORE! For advice, we are of course still personally available: Questions about TORE.
One more note about publishing through a publisher:
Even if you publish your dissertation with a publisher, parallel publication on TORE is possible if your publishing contract allows it.
This will certainly have little negative impact on the prospect of a possible royalty from VG Wort. It is paid out less and less frequently. Although the Merkblatt für Urheber im wissenschaftlichen Bereich (Fassung Dezember 2019) of the VG Wort states, “The prerequisite for a royalty is that the reported publications stand in an appropriate volume in scientific and specialist libraries,” it can be assumed that libraries nowadays hardly buy printed dissertations for their holdings.
We, as a TU library, buy dissertations only when there is a justified proposal from users. We accept donated dissertations in individual and exceptional cases only if they clearly fit into our narrower collection spectrum.
Digital semesters due to the Corona crisis also lead to expanded offers of online books or e-books in the TUHH network at the TU Hamburg. As early as May 2020, we had responded to this together with other Hamburg libraries.
With the year 2021, online books from additional publishers have now been added to the library holdings acecssible at TUHH.
- eBooks from the UK’s IET (The Institution of Engineering and Technology) with topics from all engineering disciplines (2015 – 2021)
- Emerald Business, Management and Economics eBook Series Collection 2018-2021
- VDI eLibrary: Fortschritt-Berichte VDI and the VDI reports from 2021 (no titles from 2021 published yet) incl. VDI journals from 2021.
- Cambridge University Press STM collection (Science, technology and medicine). At the end of the year, important and frequently used works will be firmly purchased.
- SAE Mobilus ebooks (1990 – 2021) from SAE International, formerly “Society of Automotive Engineers”
Continueing to be available at TUHH are online books from the following publishers:.
- Springer ebooks: The TUHH library purchased the German packages of 2021 from the following subject areas
In addition, there are the English-language packages
- Business & Management,
- Chemistry & Materials Science,
- Earth and Environmental Science,
- Intelligent Technologies & Robotics,
- Mathematics & Statistics,
- and Professional and Applied Computing.
(The links provided here search for books in the 2020 as well as 2021 packages. The 2020 English language packages for chemistry and mathematics packages were not purchased).
In 2021, access is available to books in this package for 2020. At the end of the year, important, frequently used works are permanently purchased.
- Elsevier ebooks via ScienceDirect
- De Gruyter ebooks: In addition to online books from De Gruyter, books from other publishers, such as the publishing house transcript as well as a number of American university presses, are also accessible.
- Hanser ebooks: In 2020, based on targeted selection, approx. 50 titles have been purchased, not all of which have been published yet.
- SIAM ebooks – Works of the publication year 2021 have been purchased in addition to the former years.
- MIT Press – Works of the publication year 2021 have been purchased in addition to the former years.
At least for 2021, these textbooks remain accessible online:
- More than 150 German-language textbooks of all subject areas of the publisher Pearson (primarily for online reading, only printing of single pages possible)
- Textbooks of all subject areas of the publisher UTB (chapter-by-chapter download as PDF possible)
Not renewed was access to all Wiley ebooks. Within the last few years’ contracts, we had bought the most used Online- Books purchased from Wiley firmly for access at TUHH. Purchase requests for e-books of individual Wiley titles not available at TUHH are always possible.
The TUHH Library participates in funding open access books from the International Water Association (IWA).
IWA Publishing’s e-books cover topics from all areas of water treatment and wastewater purification.
In Knowledge Unlatched’s funding model, libraries jointly fund books from publishers to make them open access. If not enough libraries come together to support the project, only some of the titles will be made openly accessible. However, the participating institutions will in any case receive free and permanent access even to the titles that are not later openly accessible.
Do you need current research literature on an important topic?
The research possibilities of Google Scholar are not enough for you?
You want to be more sure that you don’t miss anything?
For this purpose, the University Library (tub.) offers an important range of subject databases on the TUHH network. Databases important for the engineering and physical sciences such as Scopus, Web of Science or wti TEMA allow you to use specific search strategies.
You are a user of the tub. and study at another university or are a city user? And you unfortunately cannot use the computers in the reading rooms of the library due to the limited accessibility of the tub.?
Never mind, please feel free to make an appointment by e-mail with one of the tub.’s subject librarians! During a videoconference you can research together in specialist databases and receive the results by e-mail.
To prepare for the research procedure you are invited to watch this video (20 min., in German language!) from the bachelor seminar on “Academic Research and Writing” at TU Hamburg.
Due to the digital semester at Hamburg’s universities, Hamburg’s libraries are also reacting to the situation. For this reason, a large number of online books from publishers are available at TUHH that were previously only available in printed form. The possibilities of access vary greatly in some cases, and not all of the offers are permanently available.
On request of teachers and students, the TUHH library purchased individual relevant textbooks for permanent online access at the TUHH:
- Industrial Microbiology / Wilson, David B. u.a. (Hrsg.) Weinheim: Wiley-VCH 2020. (Primarily suitable for online reading, access to PDFs via mit Shibboleth login, only a limited number of files can be downloaded within 24 hours)
- Nonlinear dynamics and chaos : with applications to physics, biology, chemistry, and engineering / Strogatz, Steven. 2. ed. Boca Raton: CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group 2018. (Complete download possible)
- Fundamentals of Human Resource Management / Gary Dessler. 5.ed. München: Pearson 2020
- Human Resource Management / Gary Dessler. 16. ed. München: Pearson 2020
- Organizational theory, design and change / Gareth R. Jones. 7. ed. München: Pearson 2013
- Human Resource Management / Robert Wayne Mondy, Joseph J. Martocchio. München: Pearson 2016
- Elektrotechnik / Manfred Albach. München: Pearson 2011.
The following applies to all the above-mentioned titles published by Pearson: Primarily suitable for online reading, only print or download of individual pages possible.
Additional books from all subjects
Financed by funds from the State and University Library, which has received funding from the Hamburg Behörde für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Gleichstellung (BWFG) for the supply of literature for the whole of Hamburg, access to the e-books of a number of publishers is now possible. Not all of these works are yet included in the tub.find catalogue. Much will be permanently available here. Some of them can also be counted among the offers only temporarily available at the TUHH due to the Corona crisis.
- Until July 31 2020 more than 150 textbooks from all subjects of the publisher Pearson are available. (Primarily suitable for online reading, only print or download of individual pages possible.)
- From publisher Campus 4 packages form the social and economical sciences have been bought (chapterwise download as PDF is possible, titles online in German language):
- Campus Sozialwissenschaften 2019
- Campus Sozialwissenschaften 2020
- Campus Business 2019
- Campus Business 2020
- Textbooks from all subjects of the publisher UTB until the end of the year (chapterwise download as PDF is possible, titles online in German language)
Particularly noteworthy among the products offered by this publisher are many works on the subject of ds “Academic research methods and writing” (look at the image above) :
- Theuerkauf, Judith: Schreiben Im Ingenieurstudium. Paderborn: Schöningh, 2012.
- Hirsch-Weber, Andreas, Stefan Scherer, Beate Bornschein, and Evelin Kessel: Wissenschaftliches Schreiben Und Abschlussarbeit in Natur- Und Ingenieurwissenschaften. Stuttgart: UTB, 2016.
- From the publisher Kohlhammer the following packages has been bought (chapterwise download as PDF is possible, titles online in German language, each package includes books from the previous year, i.e. a 2020 package contains titles from 2019):
Digital, open and networked – academic and scientific work is facing similar challenges to learning and teaching in this age. In view of the current situation, the seminar “Academic Research and Writing”, until last semester performed face-to-face, will be completely converted to a digital format for the summer semester 2020.
If the summer semester 2020 at the TUHH starts as planned on 20.4.2020 in purely digital form, this bachelor seminar organized by the tuhh library will offer an introduction to the many aspects of academic work: finding topics, specialist information, knowledge organisation, writing, presenting and publishing. Suggestions for thinking about one’s own learning, information and writing processes – supplemented by practical recommendations and tips – make it possible to write better Bachelor and Master theses.
As is probably the case for most of the courses of the non-technical offer (NTA) in complementary studies at the TUHH, registration in Stud.IP will probably be possible from April 10, 2020. After the registration phase there will be a “raffle” of places.
A description of the course can also be found in the annotated course catalogue. Otherwise, the contributions in a weblog (German language only, sorry!), which has been accompanying the seminar as a kind of showcase since winter semester 2013/14, offer a good overview of the topics!
Last summer marked the 200th birthday of Eunice Foote. The now somewhat better known women’s rights activist from the USA was one of the rare female researchers in the field of physical sciences in the 19th century. On the occasion of International Women’s Day on March 8, Eunice Foote will be briefly introduced here.
As every year in October, the International Open Access Week, this time from October 21st until October 27th 2019, will provide a worldwide forum and platform for events and activities for open access to scientific information.
The Hamburg University of Technology TU Hamburg participates as always. From October 21st to October 25th, a varied programme awaits you at the TUHH. This time the focus lies on the handling of data. Impulse lectures and an open workshop will cover this topic. The opening will take place through a poster walk in the rotunda of the University Library.