The licence for using the reference management software Citavi has been renewed by the TUHH until March 31, 2022. In the moment you get within the software Citavi a hint on renewing your licence.
Please update your licence status by registering at Citavi with your TUHH Login (“Meine Hochschule”). Here you use the Shibboleth service. Then please confirm, that you are still a member of the TUHH.
Hopefully it will not happen, but when: In kind of problems with your Shibboleth acount, please contact the ServiceDesk of the TUHH computer center
, which also kindly supports the library by taking over the funding of the licence.
Long awaited and today it’s time: Citavi 6 is released. The most important change is the Citavi Cloud.
Citavi Version 5.5
Citavi is now available in version 5.5. In addition to small improvements and bug fixes, there is now also a new function to group the bibliography of a work according to your own aspects: Changes
Citavi 5.5 is already available for institutes via the software distribution service of the TU. In the Windows-Pools it stays until the winter semester with the version 5.4.
Citavi is still available only for Windows. This is to change this year, when the version 6 will add a web component.
And if you leave the TU Hamburg, but would like to use Citavi further: Citavi can be used freely if your project contains less than 101 titles. For larger projects, you can purchase a discounted license.
No EndNote Licences via Rechenzentrum
EndNote licenses for the desktop version can no longer be obtained from the Rechenzentrum.
The Online-Version EndNote Basic is still available to everyone. EndNote, by the way, has changed hands with Web of Science and now belongs to Clarivate Analytics.
Mendeley has overhauled its platform Mendeley.com in January. Unfortunately upgrades for team plans are no longer available. There are no plans right now to subscribe to Mendeley Institutional Edition.
And two more hints:
- For all those who use Mendeley and write their papers with MS Word from 2010 onwards: bibliographic data can now also be directly imported from the web library
- For all those who use Mendeley as an academic network: Since November Mendeley and ORCID profiles can be synchronized.
Zotero: Waiting for 5.0
The OpenSource Zotero software is about to update to version 5.0. This ends the Zotero era as a Firefox plugin. There will be only Zotero standalone. The changelog of the beta version shows which changes are still planned. It will surely be exciting again, which of the popular plugins will work in 5.0. Zotero Standalone is also available to institutes via the software distribution service of the computer center.
In the End
As always we point to our page on reference management in the end :-)
Citavi has released version 5 with many new features in April. Campus licence for TUHH is valid for Citavi 5 as well as for Citavi 4.
One thing has not changed though: Citavi has remained a proprietary programm which requires MS Windows. But if you are a Windows user you might enjoy the new features to read, annotate, and analyze full texts in PDF format:
- Highlight important text passages in Citavi.
- Link quotations and tasks to a specific place in the text, so you can quickly find a passage again when you begin writing your paper — from the Word Add-In as well.
- It works the other way as well — directly display comments or tasks by clicking the place in the text they refer to.
- Save tables and images from a PDF as image quotations.
- Quickly add keywords to a reference by using the keywords in the PDF file.
- Import highlights created with another PDF program (for example, on a tablet) so that you can work away from your laptop or desktop computer.
- Export annotations into the PDF file, to make the information available to others or in order to work with the document on another device.
For questions regarding Citavi 5 please refer to the Citavi 5 manual or visit the Citavi Support Forum.
Citavi’s new update includes improvements on Citavi picker. Unfortunately Citavi’s digital signature had to be updated recently. For this reason, the update cannot be automatically detected by older versions and installed from within Citavi. To install the update, please download the setup from the Citavi website.
Please feel free to contact us on any questions regarding Citavi and reference management: Thomas Hapke & Beate Rajski (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Update: The CIP pool is closed until Friday evening.
Our CIP pool will get new computers. Therefore the CIP pool in the library will be closed from Tuesday 8 am to Thursday 6 pm in the first week of September.
Starting next semester the reference managenment software Citavi will be available on Windows CIP pools. More information on CIP pools is availale at the Rechenzentrum: Windows-Pools of TUHH
Members of TUHH may use Citavi a reference management software for free. The campus licencse agreement has just been prolonged an new license keys were mailed. Please contacts us for licences for public computers at TUHH if needed:
New features in Citavi 4.3:
- The Citation Style Finder quickly guides you to a citation style that meets your guidelines.
- The Picker for Internet Explorer is now compatible with the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer.
- It’s now possible to more easily create multiple citations.
- In the Word Add-In you can now jump to additional citations of the same reference.
- And more!
Citavi has released its reference management software in version 4.
Add-In for Microsoft Word for inserting citations and quotations:
Insert your references in Word exactly as prescribed by your selected citation style. The bibliography is updated in real time with each added or deleted citation. Microsoft Word for Windows versions 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 and 365 are supported (including the 64-bit versions).
OpenOffice and the following LaTeX editors can still use the Publication Assistant: LEd, LyX, TexMaker, TeXnicCenter, TeXWorks, WinEdt, WinShell, WinTeX.
Picker for Google Chrome:
Automatically add books by ISBN number and articles by DOI address to your project. Add webpages as well as text and images. This has been available for Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. Now you can use Google Chrome as well.
Find out more about Citavi 4 at citavi.com an get the Download. Your license key is valid for both: Citavi 3 and Citavi 4.
Please note: Citavi 4 is not compatible with Windows XP.
The reference management tool Citavi uses “Picker” for seamless integration into pdfs and Firefox as well as Internet Explorer.
After updating to Acrobat XI the Citavi Picker for Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat no longer works.
The Picker must be manually copied from the Acrobat or Reader X folder to the Acrobat or Reader XI folder:
- In Windows Explorer open the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\plug_ins
- Copy the Citavi Picker folder
- Paste the Citavi Picker folder in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\plug_ins
- Open the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\ and copy the file ProtectedModeWhitelistConfig.txt
- Paste the file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\