On the occasion of the 1st Sustainability Day at TUHH, the TUHH library contributes to, a few words about the TUHH library striving for sustainability.
Roof greening at TUHH library
As a library, we contribute to various fields of sustainability already:
You, our users behave resource-friendly by borrowing books, since printed books are used repeatedly. We offer downloads and scanning options, additionally we lend USB sticks. This may help to use less paper.
The roof of our building, occupied in 1991, is planted on all three levels. The compact shelving in the stack efficiently saves space when storing printed books. The rotunda brings a lot of brightness inside the building – in some times also a little too much heat. Since the end of 2012 new LED lights along the window front have brought more light to the workplaces at approximately the same power consumption. At the end of the opening times, our Internet computers turn off automatically in the Reading Room. The internal office workplaces use particularly durable printer with the label “Energy Star”. We have already recycled printer cartridges for many years.
And of course we have other goals for the near future : Would you support us in the separation of waste from packaging, paper and residual waste? To realise somewhat more complicated will be a modern management of lighting in the reading area.
As in the last years you are invited to a series of events within the national promotion week ‘Meeting Point Library. Information has many faces’ from October 24 to 31, 2012 including also 5 contributions by the TUHH library. The main event of the program of the Hamburg libraries will take place as an opening of the exhibition “The most beautiful German books” in the University Library of the Helmut-Schmidt-University at October 24, 2012, 6 pm.
Please note: All events will be in German language. Questions in English during events in the TUHH library are welcome!
Registration for the events in the TUHH library requested!
- An adventure trip through the jungle of books in the TUHH library : a guided tour for children
Thursday October 25, 2012, 4 pm to 4.45 pm
- Learning Everywhere : Transformative Libraries & Services. The future of learning and the role of libararies in times of mobile and web-based technologies is the topic of this talk in English langauge of the American librarian Michael Stephens.
Friday October 26, 2012, 5 pm to 6.30 pm
Attention: Special Registration here!
- Exploring the digital library! A small workshop and introduction into electronic media in the TUHH library
Monday October 29, 2012, 4 pm to 4.45 pm
- Taking, reading, freeing : a workshop on bookcrossing
Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 4 pm to 4.45 pm
- Open for all – Guided tour through the TUHH library with views behind the scenes of Harburg’s largest library
Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 4 pm to 4.45 pm