Starting in April 2013 the TUHH library has offered a fund to support the publication of articles in Open Access journals according to the criteria of the DFG. Since 2014 until 2019 additional funds are available from the German Research Foundation (DFG) out of its funding programme “Open Access Publishing”. If the DFG’s criteria are met, the TUHH library will continue to bear all the costs for the published articles in so-called GOLD Open Access journals. This regulation has been extended until 30.06.2020.
The funding occurs through the TUB according to the criteria of the DFG on the principle: First come – First serve. Please also use the opportunity to list publication costs in your project application and to apply for them! The DFG currently provides project funding of up to €750 per year. Publication costs for industrial projects should also be taken into account.
Criteria for funding
Target group of the central funding
Priority is given to publications by young scientists at the TUHH, who receive funding for one article per year as corresponding author.
Your article should also meet the following needs
- The content of the publication contains the results of projects currently being worked on at the TUHH.
- The article to be published appears in a journal whose articles are all accessible free of charge via the Internet immediately upon publication (“true open access journals”) and which apply strict quality assurance procedures recognized in the respective subject (peer review process). Information on these journals: Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ).
- Funded publications receive a CC license as free as possible upon publication (e.g. CC-BY 4.0. Attribution-ShareAlike)
- As a member of TUHH, you are responsible for paying the publication fees as corresponding author. It is mandatory to indicate the TUHH affiliation in the first place: Hamburg University of Technology, TUHH institute address and TUHH eMail address. This must also be observed for guest scientists, cooperations and research associations, such as the fmthh – Research Center for Medical Technology Hamburg or the Fraunhofer Center for Maritime Logistics and Services (CML) – see also TUHH Affiliation Guideline.
- If funding is provided by the Publication Fund, the following note must be included with the Funding Acknowledgements: Publishing fees funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, German Research Foundation) – Projektnummer 491268466 and the Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH) in the funding programme *Open Access Publishing*.
- The TUHH or the library publishes the expenses associated with the publication: DOI, issues
The open access release of articles in journals requiring subscription in principle according to the model of “Open Choice” and the so-called Mirror-Journals (titleX) is not eligible for funding.
How can I apply for funding by the Open-Access Publishing Fund?
Please make the application before entering into a contract with the journal:
After successful review by the TUHH library you receive a commitment for the costs, which have to be paid in the case of acceptance of your article by the journal. We also check whether the selected journal fits the quality criteria. In this case, the invoice will be paid by the library. The invoices must always be issued to the TUHH and contain the VAT number of the TUHH.
Open Access Repository of TUHH
We would like that the supported articles would also be uploaded to the TUHH Open Research (TORE) – in case it is legally allowed in the contract with the particular publisher.